Monday, August 30, 2010

Mix it up!

A long overdue post by the other half!

As you can probably tell, we have a lot of different projects going on all at the same time, and most of the time we jump to and from them in no particular order. Lately, our attention has been divided between children's story illustrations and detailed tattoo design. On the one hand they are similar in that we are doing lots of work withour trusty pencils, but on the other hand, it's a very different mindset. For me, it's a lot of:

"How is this going to look on a page?"

vs.

"How much detail can I fit into a small place on this person's arm?"

Last night, we were up very late (shocking, I know!) working on these drawing projects and I got a lot done on something I don't do very often; A very detailed and realistic pencil drawing of a human being! I am quite happy with how it turned out, especially as I'm not hugely confident in my pencil skills, at least when it comes to drawing anything that resembles reality.

That being said, when we had our good friends over today for an Art Day™, I decided it was time for a break from the meticulous drawing on 8" x 10" with a 2B, and mix things up by bringing out a long neglected 40" x 48" canvas.



Yeaaaah! That's more my style! But as I said, it's been long neglected and has looked like this for some time. But today was awesome for progress, and I was in a groove, so 7 hours later it looked like this:


There's still a lot left to do, but it was great to take a break from the scrutiny of pencil drawing that will one day permanently adorn someone's flesh to quite literaly getting my hands dirty and splattering my imagination onto canvas!

Tomorrow will likely bring me back to the 2B and a smaller scale, but it will be with a refreshed mind and eye, so I'm looking forward to it. Moral of the story - Mix it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment