Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Garden of Art

Inspiration. It can come from anywhere. I mean heck, I have seen scuff marks on my wall and shouted out “Oh man! That looks like a dolphin eating a hamburger while riding on top of a train! Richard you need to draw that on paper!” And then it just confirms with people the fact that I am truly crazy….

One thing I can say for sure though, is I always get inspired and greatly motivated when going to an art or craft show. Numerous talented people, with such a wide array of ideas! It makes me want to plant myself in an empty vendor booth right then and there and just start arting it up! I have begun to start taking a note pad and paper to the shows to jot down any ingenious breakthroughs I have while there.
This last weekend, I went to ‘Art in the Garden’ for the first time, and without a doubt will be attending next year as well. Even though the weather was terrible, I was still blown away by the UBC Botanical Garden’s beauty and all the art pieces tucked away in its seclusion. It was the perfect venue with its bohemian atmosphere of live music, nature and art.


I made my rounds to all the displays, stuffed my pocket full of business cards (Typical of me), and inhaled a lot of lavender….Richard’s mom, Belinda Llewellyn, was one of the vendors, and just as me, she is indeed a lavender fan! While her focus is watercolour paintings of Celtic knotwork, she also frequently sells pens, rosaries, soaps, and the very dangerous but ever so good lavender bags!


November there will be a lot of noise on the blog about art shows. While there are ongoing shows throughout the year in spring in summer, fall has a tendency to be packed with them due to the winter holidays. Hopefully you get the chance to go and venture to them as well. If not, be sure to login and I will gladly keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment