Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dare to be Different?

‘Dare to be Different’ that was the headline of today’s 24Hour newspaper. I remember my younger years when being different meant one thing: get ready to be teased and made fun of! YAY! Sad but true! Being different was not fun as a kid, and I will never understand it. I much lacked the confidence to stand up to anyone who pointed out anything non conformist about me. I remember being called out for having tear away pants which were not brand name! It wasn’t enough that I was keeping up with the oh so trendy styles back in the day. *sigh* What ever happened to those pants…?

I have to thank my High School for not abiding by they rules of “normality”. I remember people coming to school with abstract designs painted on their face, pants made of bubble wrap, and grad dresses made of things found from a recycling bin! I finally had my own look myself, and was free to work it baby, work it! Haha.


Today’s paper article talked about how Japan’s very popular ‘Lolita’ (http://www.lolitafashion.org/) fashion is making its way to Vancouver. While some people are fanatics, others just can’t help but stare. This reminds me of a time when I went to visit some old friends at a different High School. I snuck my way in, and walked through a hallway of ‘Jocks’ and ‘Preps’ and OH how I got the most interesting reactions! I wasn’t sorry my jeans weren’t Rockin Republic but rather rocking with zippers, safety pins and holes. I wasn’t sorry that I was not wearing Gucci on my feat but rather some thick soled kicks. I wasn’t sorry that my shirt wasn’t Guess, but please  rather ‘Please guess if these rips and tears were on my baggy black hoodie before or after its purchase’. I wasn’t sorry, because it no longer phased me to think twice about they thought, as it didn’t matter.


 Whether it is clothes or art, just rock it. *Head Bangs*. Do what is you! Don’t be scared to go outside the box, it’s often the most fun place, and the best way to show your creative side.

No comments:

Post a Comment