Monday, November 22, 2010

Circle Craft 2010

Circle Craft = Inspiring and Tempting. Circle Craft is a very large annual craft fair which takes place in Vancouver during the winter season. Today I ventured out to the event with Crafty Bunny and our partner’s in crime. While Crafty Bunny’s companion was overly thrilled to be going to the event, but I am pretty sure we supplied him with a good amount of entertainment while we were there.

One of the most exciting and unique artists we saw created helmet covers (www.tail-wags.com). Crafty Bunny was ecstatic about the…well…the bunny one, and I latched on to the lobster version. I also was pretty excited about the goldfish. While I do not have a bicycle helmet at this time, I do have a snowboarding one…

We were fortunate enough to get a glimpse of a free glassblowing demonstration. I am pretty sure that whenever I break a glass now it will feel guilty. The time and various techniques they used alone to incorporate the colour and pattern of the piece was MIND BLASTING. While I was truly mesmerized by their work, I don’t think I would have the patience to ever take part in it myself. A few years ago I had traveled down to Tacoma with my family and watched a similar demonstration at the Museum of Glass and since then have grown a new appreciation for glass blowing. Here are some of the artists we saw today:
www.mellonglass.com
www.psdesignsglass.com
www.illuminatiglassworks.ca
One of the pieces by PS Designs was their two and four sushi sets, sadly I don’t eat nearly enough sushi at home to justify the purchase.

Another vendor which made are day was Diabolo Puppets. These cute and quirky characters were a blast! Without hesitation we started picking up different characters and animating them with the strangest voices. Piranha, Bunny and this other odd fluffy creature which kinda resembled someone’s beard but in a brighter colour…what do you think?

Tumies were rumbling and so we decided we best head out, but we did make one last stop…at the Calgary Fudge Factory. Worst idea ever. We spent $40 in fudge! Rather, Crafty Bunny…I have some money I need to pass on to her. Sadly their website does not show nearly as many flavors as they had at the show such as Green Tea, Garlic, Pistachio, and Jelly Belly Jelly Beans! The men we eager to try the Eggnog version (and dunk it in some Rum of course) but they were sold out :(

I truly recommend going to Circle Craft next year if you have never been. Do try to go early to beat the crowds, and perhaps give yourself a budget J The artists are all very talented, and there is no shortage of variety, thus easily getting the best of a person...and their wallet hehe. Darn it! I totally didn’t do any Christmas Shopping…oh well :(

No comments:

Post a Comment