Thursday, September 16, 2010

Three Suspects

I have not always been the one to try something new. In previous years I was often shy and timid and the thought of venturing out of my comfort zone to something unfamiliar was somewhat nerve-wracking. The thought of failure or embarrassment followed close beside me, and instead of taking a risk I just watched from the sidelines.

As years passed, I slowly grew some courage and decide to slowly tackle new things. A lot of this was influenced by people I spent a lot of time with at school. I had always been the quiet one, and once hitting up my very artsy fartsy high school, things became a lot more adventurous. Risk takers, and thrill seekers were all around me, and they took me by the hand and showed me how to be one as well.


These days I do not feel that fear I once had, and am often excited to try something fresh and new. I have indulged in an assortment of dance styles and even gone competitive, yoga, pilates, exotic foods, motorcycle riding, late night road trip adventures on a whim! And of course art! (Probably wondering how I was going to tie this into the art field of things! Mwhaha). For years it was always sketches, pencil crayons and folk art, but there have been three main people who changed all that.


Suspect Number One: The Mother
AKA:  The Boss
Known for: Fold Art and Crocheting
Story: When I was really young my mom and I would do crafts together from a large crafting book we owned (and still do to this day!). As school slowly took over my life, and work engulfed hers, the crafting was no more. Years later, shortly before I ventured out to the Wild West, my mom and I started to go to craft nights together. We made Rag Dolls, Decorated Ceramic Pots and made numerous bath products such as soaps, salts and facial scrubs. It was nice to be doing something new, and having someone to go with who also was not scared either.

Suspect Number Two: My Partner in Crime
AKA: Little Ham
Known for: Cartooning and Painting
Story: Upon first site I never would have guessed he
was a man with a pencil and paintbrush in his back pocket. Tattoos, ex-piercings, enough guitars to open a shop, torn jeans and a family van? Huh? Art was his disfunctional relationship. I love you, I hate you, I miss you, you just don’t understand! Once those magical sparks set off (wow sorry…one sec, I just vomited on my keyboard)
*INTERMISSION*
…once we started to date:P I lured him into painting again. It was a bit odd for myself, as I was not familiar nor very comfortable with paint. But he was cute :)

Suspect Number Three: Shannon
AKA: THE Shannons
Known for: Knitting
Story: We met in school, so I knew there had to be SOME common interests. Oddly enough we didn’t talk until school was more or less done. A little while ago she decided to dive back into the art of knitting while still tackling other art forms such as designing jewelry. Often when we are out and about, she will spot something she likes but refrains from making the purchase as she says “I could make that!” justifying as to why she should not buy it. Since this popular phrase came to be, I have been thinking the same myself about many products I come across.


These three art gurus have taken me on more crafting adventures then I could imagine. Having their company on the journey too alleviated any worries and doubt I had about not making my grand masterpiece on my first attempt of something new. Painting outside the lines became fun, and trying something new with no experience became a thrill. I still have a long list of things I would like to try, and Shannon’s “I could make that” is defiantly not helping me reduce any of those items….haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment